Wednesday, February 16, 2011

On this day, 3 years ago...


Husband popped the question.
It was a glorious day.
Let me tell you our story.

It (February 16, 2008) started out like every other Saturday.
Lauren (my soul mate/roommate, meet her here) and I were getting ready for the day. She knew Dustin and I were going on a date to the Children's Museum, and that I knew there would be a surprise at the end.... but she was sneaky sneaky sneaky in her acting skills.

Dustin picked me up and we stopped at Ivanhoe's to grab carry-out for lunch. Deliciousness.
Then, off to the The Children's Museum. It was a BLAST. I love that place.


 We then ventured over to my favorite park, Garfield Park.
While we were there, we met this little guy. He was a little too sociable for my liking.


We stayed at the park until it was time for dinner in Zionsville at Stone Creek.
I. Was. Clueless.
You see, it was not out of the ordinary for us to spend Saturdays in Indianapolis or go out to dinner at new restaurants.
What was strange, however, was that Dustin said we didn't have time to go to Greenwood to see my grandparents. That was unusual. And NOT cool.

I knew my surprise was coming soon, so after we left the restaurant and Dustin missed the exit to go back to school, I got excited because I thought maybe we were going to go to Greenwood after all. I was wrong. (He was just so nervous he missed the exit.)

Once we got back to Marion, he pulled into the parking lot of College Wesleyan Church. This was such a special place for us; we worshiped there together, we served there together, and we felt like a part of the College Wesleyan family even though we were students.

As we walked in, I thought it was very strange the church was unlocked on a Saturday. I thought maybe Dustin needed to go pick something up for the college ministry we helped lead.
Instead, he led me into the sanctuary, which had several candles lit and had a pitcher, basin,  towel, and Bible in between two chairs. I began to get really excited as he sat me down, read John 13, and washed my feet as Jesus watched the disciples' feet. He talked about serving one another. And then said these words...

"So, this what I just wanted to talk with you about tonight. As we continue in our relationship, that we can serve one another."

That was it. Nothing more. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I legitmately believed he had just done all of this to have D.T.R. and I was not happy. I was so frustrated I pretty much missed the fact he had pulled out a little box that was hiding behind the basin and was down on one knee.

Then, I was speechless. No lie. He totally got me.
Then I shook my head yes. I think I maybe even said, "heck, yes." 

After a few minutes of processing, Dustin informed me he had one more surprise for me.
I walked out of the sanctuary, and was shocked to see many of our college friends and families. Lauren had orchestrated a surprise celebration. Dustin's family had come up, as well as our friend, Mark's (Lauren's boo), parents (who live in Marion).
.
It was a sweet time of celebration.
(Until Dustin had to leave a few hours later to do Greek homework... yuck)

TA-DA!!!!


This is Lauren. Super-Roomie.


Love this guy.

The End.

6 comments:

  1. You've got yourself quite the dreamboat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will never forget your wide-mouth-face when you walked into that extra room. so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so fun. so happy we got to be there for this special day and your wedding day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm literally on the edge of my seat waiting for a house update. Pleeeeeease!

    ReplyDelete